09 November 2007

getting to know

When I was seventeen I
sat in my parents’ house
on a green velvet chair


the green just a memory really
of green
more grey, more brown than green
the velvet scraped bare in spots


like my hand
as I sat there
nails of my left hand
carving a crescent into the
back of my right


not blinking not blinking
not blinking


the sting localized
drawing the ache
shutting down thought


abstract neurons synapses etc.
I imagine every signal
pulsing from hand to brain
brain to hand
while my
heart
unnoticed


****


When I was seven I
laid back on my
looking at the ceiling


I caught the eye of
the metal elephant bank
you put a quarter in its trunk
push the lever and
send the quarter into the slot


I watched the elephant
watching me
and wondered what he thought
of the little girl
lying there numb to touch


I wanted my own quarter to add
maybe after
for good behavior

No comments: